OT: Novell Is Not SCO

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 18:54:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 11:34, Craig White wrote:
> > >----
> > >and likewise, samba developers took a position today
> > >
> > >http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/
> > >
> > >Craig
> >
> > Knee-jerk reaction by me would have been to demand that samba and cifs be
> > removed from their distribution, but I see it didn't quite come to that,
> > so its just so much hot air.  Unfortunately...
> ----
> they really can't do that. If it is demonstrated that this deal does
> indeed violate GPL license and thus disqualifies Novell from legally
> distributing GPL licensed software, it won't go unnoticed.
>
> Interestingly enough, this event probably gives rise to the best
> argument in favor of GPL v3 than all other events.

This isn't going to play out well.  There's almost certainly
something in Microsoft's huge patent portfolio that is
included in samba/cifs and required to make it work.  I
don't see how samba developers could win a battle like
that.  In fact I've expected exactly that scenario for
years and don't see any possible mesh with the GPL unless
an agreement like Novell's also permits free redistribution
with the patent protection included for any subsequent
recipients.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com