Pam issues w/ upgrading mail server from FC3 to FC5

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Nov 13 06:01:11 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 21:06 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>Craig White wrote:

>>>----
>>>It depends upon setting in /etc/imapd.conf
>>>
>>># grep sasl /etc/imapd.conf
>>>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>>>
>>>when cyrus uses saslauthd for authentication...
>>>
>>># cat /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
>>># Directory in which to place saslauthd's listening socket, pid file,
>>>and so
>>># on.  This directory must already exist.
>>>SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
>>>
>>># Mechanism to use when checking passwords.  Run "saslauthd -v" to get a
>>>list
>>># of which mechanism your installation was compiled with the ablity to
>>>use.
>>>MECH=pam
>>>
>>># Additional flags to pass to saslauthd on the command line.  See
>>>saslauthd(8)
>>># for the list of accepted flags.
>>>FLAGS=
>>>
>>>make sure that saslauthd service is started...
>>>
>>>/sbin/service saslauthd status
>>>saslauthd (pid 3233 3232 3231 3230 3219) is running...
>>>
>>>this should pretty much work.
>>>
>>>Craig
>>>

>>Yeah, saslauthd is running... the config is unchanged, as above...
>>I've created a username with:
>>
>>    saslpasswd2 -f /etc/sasldb2 -a imap -c username
>>
>>Oh, did the "chown cyrus.mail /etc/sasldb2" also...
>>
>>So I can't figure out what else needs to be done...  Still seeing
>>those messages.
>>

>----
>I don't use sasldb but a check of the man page for saslauthd shows...
>
>sasldb     (All platforms)
>  Authenticate against the SASL authentication database.  Note that this
>is probabally
>  not what you want to be using, and is even disabled at compile-time by
>default.
>  If you want to use sasldb with the SASL library, you probably want to
>use the
>  pwcheck_method of "auxprop" along with the sasldb auxprop plugin
>instead.
>
>Craig

That doesn't seem right.

Why would Cyrus-imapd be released in a successive version that
removed very popular functionality it previously had?  A lot of
people use IMAP-over-SSL with a SASL database to authenticate
from.

Usually RPM's are released in binary form with the maximum
amount of functionality.

BTW:  saslauthd -v returns:

saslauthd 2.1.21
authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 pam rimap shadow ldap

-Philip