FC-6 disappointment on AMD Athlon64 3200+ machine

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 13 10:17:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:04:47AM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I did look occasionally -
> the fact is, there was no error reported until anaconda hung,
> and at that point, there was no way of listing any error.
> (Everything froze.)

Does the magic sysrq key work? This helped me discover a kernel bug which
affected earlier (FC4) installations in much the same way. (This particular
bug is fixed in the 2.6.18 kernel FC6 uses.) You'll probably have to be in
text mode to try it. This should enable you to see what's stuck, and force a
crash if you need to.

> I occasionally read the anaconda development mailing list,
> and my impression there is that the anaconda team
> do not regard it as a high priority to ensure that their program runs
> on as many machines as possible.

That's clearly a ridiculous claim.

However, it is a hard problem to ensure that.