FC6: Things segfaulting all over

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 14:41:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:14 +0000, Vijay Gill wrote:
> On 13/11/06, James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk> wrote:
> > Vijay Gill wrote:
> > > Just another thought. Do I need noapic and nolapic etc as kernel
> > > params during boot? Currently I do not have those but I still remember
> > > using those long time ago to install Mandrake (before it became
> > > Mandriva) Linux.
> >
> > These things should just work, and if they don't, you'd know about it.
> > Since you've got as far as you have, they're unlikely to be a problem.
> >
> > If you want to play with kernel parameters, try noacpi. A dodgy ACPI
> > implementation on your motherboard could cause problems.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > James.
> >
> noapic and nolapic did not work anyway. I tried and had segfault. I
> use mencoder to encode some stuff and surely it crashes after some
> time. I tried mencoder (along with the needed libs) which was working
> 100% stable under FC5.
> Giving noacpi a shot and will report back soon.

My machine did the very same things, the first week after I bought it. I
took it back to the dealer and asked him to test the power supply. I got
it back the next day with a new power supply and it hasn't burped once
since. With all the flaky capacitors that hit the market I'd suspect
dodgy electronics first. If you have a spare power supply lying around,
I'd suggest replacing the one you have as a test. Just to see. Ric