Odd Filesystem Issue

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 17:56:20 UTC 2006

Frank Tanner III wrote:
> Has anyone else had an issue with, after a random interval, the file
> system going Read Only and having to reboot to resolve the issue?
>
> I'm on a fresh install of FC6 using the "factory" non-Xen kernel.  EXT-3
> is the file system
>
> I've searched on Google and haven't seen anyone posting anything about
> this, but I figured that I would check the list.
>
> Any assistance that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Quite how often does this happen? Is it normally a matter of hours?

What does
smartctl -l error /dev/hda
return? (You may need to specify /dev/sda, or something else: run mount,
and if you see a line like
/dev/hdb6 on / type ext3 (rw)
then drop the number from /dev/hdb6 and run
smartctl -l error /dev/hdb

Have you loaded any proprietary kernel modules (for wireless ethernet or
graphics cards)?

What sort of graphics card do you have? Can you tell us what
grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
returns (says he, trying to remember how much actually goes in a "stock"
FC6 xorg.conf. I'm pretty sure that still does...)

When the system has gone Read-Only, what sort of error messages are
displayed if you press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a text console? It may be
worth leaving the computer on overnight to see if you can "grab" any more
data. (Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to a graphical mode).

You can use Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDown to scroll through what gets printed
to the text consoles -- unfortunately, the "scrollback" gets lost when
you switch consoles. That's why it would be helpful if you were *already*
in the text console when the system goes Read Only...

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Practically any car advert, for example, shows you that
aprilcottage.co.uk | if you buy this car you will get so lost that you end up