Nvidia installer does uninstall previous kernel driver ?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 18:02:59 UTC 2006

Kim Lux wrote:
> Well, Jeff, as part of my WORK at the moment, I need to test a few
> things on pre release kernels !  So, while I could stick to release
> kernels, it would probably cost me more than fooling around with the
> NVIDIA installer.
>
> Get the picture ?  While YOU may have the luxury of using only the
> release kernels, I need to test some of the latest and greatest stuff,
> so I am using pre release kernels.  Its not that I want to, its what I
> MUST do !

OK. It appears that you have a business need to have a laptop which can
support external monitors *and* the internal display at the same time
with the latest (development) kernels.

I submit that this (a) means you have unusual needs, more akin to a
developer than a normal desktop user, and (b) means that you have a
business requirement to use a laptop that can reasonably support this.

I'm serious -- there is no guarantee that Nvidia will provide timely
updates to support the latest pre-release software, and there is a long
history of them not doing so. One might look at the FC6 development
period, when there was a period of months when Nvidia neither supported
the extensions necessary to run the new compiz "bling", nor the 7.1
release of X11.

So if it's a question of "MUST", then you "MUST" get a laptop that *can*
reliably do this using Open Source software which comes with Fedora.

Unfortunately, I don't have the experience with these requirements to
recommend a particular laptop. A quick Google suggests that *supported*
ATi hardware or Intel hardware might do the job.

Can anyone make any solid recommendations?

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Right lads, we've got 45 minutes to score 37 goals.
aprilcottage.co.uk | No problem with that -- the other team just did."