FC6 Missing icons after update and terminal not starting

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 00:09:26 UTC 2006

antonio montagnani wrote:

>> Jim
>>
>> tnx for help.
>>
>> Not easy to follow your advice as Terminal is not operating (dying
>> immediately)

Is this the terminal launched from the GUI?

Anyway, since you came from RHL8, quite a lot of programs were added and
  removed. You might have to drop to runlevel 3 or ctl-alt-Fn to a
virtual terminal and log in as root to do this. If you cannot even get a
basic terminal, I really have no idea as to a direction to take.

Basically, run yum grouplist to get the groups and run yum groupinstall
for the groups which you want to make sure are at least to the default
group level.

>> Maybe that it is connected to some gstreamer library??? (from
>> googling..)???

I'm sure that there are a lot of added libraries effecting stability of
the GUI since RHL8. Running in a shell should get you a more complete
system. The group installs pull in all sorts of programs which were not
previously released in earlier versions.

You got the system this far, it should be operational enough to pull in
some of the additional groups.

At this point, development releases seem easier to maintain than way
back starts to the newest release version.

Good Luck,
Jim

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't
prove it.