SSH question

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200611 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Nov 15 17:45:51 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> writes:
> Under my FC4 installs I am asked for the ssh passphrase at login time.  This
> box, FC6, does not ask me.  Instead I am asked when I first open a terminal.
> Normally this causes no problem.  However, today I had to go out early and
> did not open a terminal until a few minutes ago.  I find that an rsync across
> the network was refused permission - presumably because I had not made
> this 'first step'.
>
> What is the reason for the change in behaviour?  What would I have to do if I
> wanted to keep the old behaviour?  If it's not advisable, why not?

As one of your first acts after logging in you can do an "ssh-add"
from a terminal window.  That way your ssh-agent has a valid key for
you and doesn't have to prompt you each time (on a per connection
basis).

It would be good if someone got pam/gdm working well enough together
to store your unix password as a candidate password for ssh keys.
That way one could choose the same password for both situations and
only have to type a password once.

-wolfgang