Microphone does not work in FC6

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 19:07:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:48, spmirowski wrote:

> > You're on the right track, if not there yet  :-)   You'll have to
> > experiment with the various input sliders and switches, but you should
> > find the answer there if you play around with it.
> >

> I have this problem with FC6 and FC5 too.  I have played with many
> sliders but no luck yet.

Two suggestions.  First, run alsamixer from a terminal.  I think you get a
much clearer picture of what's there than in the gui.  Use keyboard arrows to
navigate, up and down to increase/decrease settings and M to mute or unmute
(if such a word exists ).

Second - you may get some useful info by running 'cat /etc/asound.state'.

> No capturing but my voice outputs to my speakers.  If I get it to work,
> I'll let you know what
> I did.

I hadn't actually tried recording in FC6 until I read this.  I had got sound
working in ekiga, but that's as far as I had got.  I've just fired up
audacity and set it to record.  While I was recording the sound came out of
the speakers, so presumably I'd have to adjust some setting if I didn't want
that to happen.  At the end, though, the sound played back perfectly, so it's
obviously working correctly.

Anne