giving a normal user rights to use negative nice values

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 22:59:33 UTC 2006

>          Surely this is not intended? I mean the system has priority
> because it needs it?
>     You could of course do it with sudo. The following in /etc/sudoers
> murray   ALL = NOPASSWD:/bin/nice
> allows me to do
>
> > sudo nice --adjustment=-10 ls
>
>   Does that do what you need?
>         Bill

Maybe I should expand a little, as perhaps what I want can be solved in a
different way.

I'm running compiz. It works very well, but I have noticed that under heavy
load, such as whilst I am "making" something, the desktop gets rather
sluggish.

I have also noticed if I run make (or whatever else takes a lot of cpu) with
low priority (i.e. "nice -10 make") the system remains fully responsive.

So, I was thinking, instead of running everything else with a positive nice
value, which is difficult to arrange, why not run compiz with a negative
one ....

So thats my reasoning.... Maybe my idea is flawed ?

cheers Chris