xorg-x11-devel

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Nov 16 15:45:49 UTC 2006

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> El Jueves, 9 de Noviembre de 2006 20:53, Alessandro Brezzi escribió:
>> Hi Manuel,

>>> There is a package called xorg-x11-devel already.
>>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/2/x86_64/xorg-x11-devel-6.7.0
>>> -14.x86_64.html That's an example ;-)
>>> --
>>> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.
>> Yes, for previous release of FC, but not for FC6 ... apparently it
>> disappered in FC5. So what?
>
> Take a look there:
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/1/search/pkgconfig
>
> Fedora 6
> download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.1.1-47.fc6.x86_64.rpm
> Fedora 6
> download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.1.1-47.fc6.i386.rpm
>
> Hope that helps

While well intentioned, that wont help.  The server-sdk package is
the development package for X server video/input driver development
and is not related to xorg-x11-devel which was provided in older
Fedora releases.

With the switchover from monolithic Xorg releases to the modular
Xorg releases, each library is now built from its own standalone
source rpm package named lib?????? and comes with its own individual
lib??????-devel package.

Any software which links to any X libraries which previously used
the rpm dependencies of "BuildRequires: XFree86-devel" or
"BuildRequires: xorg-x11-devel" must now remove those lines, and
add new BuildRequires lines for each individual X library that they
use.

There is no single package which provides "xorg-x11-devel" in FC5
or FC6 anymore.

Do not add dependencies on the xorg-x11-server-sdk to non-server
related software, as that will not accomplish anything useful.

Also, some software packages may need to add a dependency on the
xorg-x11-proto-devel package if they require headers which are
provided by the protocol development package.