XP + samba + CUPS = MESS

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 21:42:24 UTC 2006

I rarely, but occasionally, need to print from XP.  One printer is installed
on an FC4 box and serves two other FC boxes plus a dual-boot laptop.

Following Tim's instructions I used system-config-printer to install a raw
queue.  Now, if I print direct to the raw queue I get a basic, one-sided
print, with few options.  If I attempt to print to the other print-queues set
up, which XP can see, the file leaves the laptop and is somehow diverted to
the raw queue.  Unfortunately, unlike the direct print, it just sits there,
doing nothing and bunging up the works.

In this sort of situation I would normally use the cups interface to delete
the job (as root, of course).  I am told that I (root) do not have permission
to do that.  I had to re-start cups to get rid of it.

Something, I don't know what, stops the printer as well.  Again, I would, as
root, normally just start the printer again.  No - I don't have permission.
I had to hover over the button to see the command, then use a root terminal
to send the command to re-start it.

Maybe all this mess is caused by the oft-quoted problems of using cups and
system-config-printer.  I don't know.  All I do know is that it is a mess,
where it used to be fine.

Just to make things worse I have promised to help some newbies at a LUG to
configure their samba.  If I can't demonstrate a working system I shall look
a real fool.

Anne