Intel hda sound using STAC9227 codec

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Nov 17 12:54:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:31:12PM -0800, David Scriven wrote:
> I am trying to run FC6 on a Core Duo 2 machine with a DG965RY motherboard.
> This machine uses  Intel HDA  sound  with the SigmaTel  9227 codec, which
> doesn't seem to work with the present (1.0.12) ALSA drivers. ALSA 1.0.13rc1
> et seq. does seem to support this setup, but for some reason Fedora hasn't
> released it, although it is available in other distributions. ATrpms supplies a
> version for FC6, but I don't want the incompatibilities that come mixing
> ATrpms with the other sources (e.g. livna) that I use. I'd build my own libs,
> but the ALSA site says explicitly that their code only works with vanilla kernels.

What they want to say is that they only support vanilla kernels and
that modified ones may break. It is not a hard statement that it has
to break with non-vanilla kernels. E.g. the kmdls at ATrpms show that
alsa 1.0.13 works nicely with FC6 and EL5.

> So, what to do?

Wrt to possible incompatibilites between any repo report to both sides
(all have mailing lists and bugzillas, some share even the same
bugzilla instance). Otherwise you can just get alsa-lib and
alsa-driver(-kmdl) and get your HDA working.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net