FC6 wireless -Network Manager

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 20:36:23 UTC 2006

2006/11/17, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, antonio montagnani wrote:

> >> Not sure what to suggest here.  What wireless card and what driver?

> >> Click "Connect to Other Wireless Network" in the drop-down menu and fill
> >> in the SSID.
> >
> > I am running a D-link G650 with following drivers:
> > madwifi-0.9.3-29_r1754.fc6.at
> >
> > I tried as you suggest for connecting to a network that is not
> > broadcasting: it doesn't work, but after googling, it seems that has
> > been reported in the Network Manager mailing list.
> > This is quite annoying in a safe environment, where SSID is disabled
> > (not here in the almost countryside... ;-)  )
>
> I find it sometimes takes a few tries, possibly restarting NM in between.
> But I've eventaully gotten it working (with ipw2200, though)
>

> > I note also that after some disconnecting and automatic re-connecting,
> > automatic re-connecting stops working
> >
> > I know that Network Manager people is working on these issues.
>
> Track them on the network-manager list (http://mail.gnome.org/).  You
> could also build NM from CVS with help from there.  I used to do this, but
> haven't kept up recently.
>

> > Tnx anyway
> >

> --
>                 Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>
> --

This is the output of iwconfig:

ath0      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"homenet"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:17:9A:F4:CC:45
          Bit Rate:24 Mb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=34/94  Signal level=-59 dBm  Noise level=-93 dBm

any comment???
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag