Yum running in the background (yum-updatesd) ?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 18 20:52:34 UTC 2006

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I'm running a new install of FC6.
>
> most of the time when I try to run yum or smart I get an error that there is
> already a running yum process:
>
> a ps shows this:
>
> root at Issac # ps -ef | grep yum
> root      2776     1  0 09:58 ?
> 00:00:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd
> root      6051  3779  0 10:11 pts/2    00:00:00 grep yum
>
> Anyone know why? what is running this? is this a good thing?

It a system wide service that checks for updates. See
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/fc62/ for more details.
  Yum processes conflicting on this service is a bug that is allegedly
fixed in a update available in the update-testing repository.

# yum  --enablerepo=updates-testing install yum-updatesd

to verify this.

Rahul