The Apocalypse is at hand!

Andre Costa andre.ocosta at terra.com.br
Sat Nov 18 21:13:41 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:11:36 -0500
Tom Horsley <tomhorsley at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Working on Fedora Core 6 with all latest updates:
>
> I was stunned last night when I clicked "Open File" in firefox to
> navigate over to a directory with a web page I was working on and the
> GTK file dialog actually had a "Location:" text field already
> displayed where I could paste the path name to my file from the
> editor where I was working on it.
>
> What have they put in the water the GTK developers have been
> drinking? How have they been overcome with sanity after years
> of insisting that text fields were the work of the devil and no dialog
> box should ever have one?
>
> Did someone take away their keyboards and make them do all
> their development with a mouse to see how they like it?
>
> I may never recover from the shock :-).

It's a new GNOME (actually, GTK+) feature, check their release notes
here:

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.16/notes/C/rnbackend.html

Text says:

"The file chooser dialog has also been improved: the location entry
(previously opened by using Ctrl+L) has been integrated and the dialog
as a whole remains responsive even when performing time-consuming file
operations."

(look for "file chooser dialog", right above Figure 12)

Regards,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa