Fedora on an AMD Athlon 64 (3200+) machine

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 08:42:46 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> So I'll ask again if anyone is happily running the x86_64 version of FC-6
> on an Athlon 64 machine?

I suppose my previous answer wasn't *that* clear -- yes, my setup
mirrored yours down to the 64 bit install, with a 3200 processor. I don't
know if yours is one of the Socket 939 or Socket 754 variants, but that
*really* shouldn't matter (mine's a Socket 939). I *do* know that I'm
running on an NForce 4-based ASUS motherboard, whereas I think yours is
Via-based.

> OK, thanks for the responses.
> Evidently the x86_64 version of FC-6 works fine, in principle.
>
> I also have an Asus motherboard and ATI Radeon 9600 video card,
> though I only have 512MB RAM.
>
> What I find puzzling is that my machine works perfectly
> under the i386 version of FC-6 and under Windows XP.
> Under the x86_64 version it can be guaranteed to crash within 1 hour
> (usually within 1 minute), even if run in text mode,
> and even with a compiled vanilla kernel.

Have you tried turning off ACPI? The ACPI subsystem does use a lot of
stuff from the BIOS, which may well not have been debugged under a 64 bit
OS. (Just a thought...)

> Also, after the crash it is not sufficient to re-boot
> by pressing the power switch for 10 seconds -
> one has to switch the machine off and on at the back.
> I take it this shows some kind of memory corruption.
>
> It's a Targa machine, and I looked at the www.targa.com
> to see if they had upgraded the CPU or BIOS,
> but they are still shipping the same versions,
> so I assume there has been no general failure.

If you're willing to risk it, you could always see if *Asus* have an
updated BIOS. That should work on your motherboard.

Or stick with the 32 bit install.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Am I alone in receiving so much junk mail? Can these
aprilcottage.co.uk | people not get it into their thick heads that I do not