X and Intel 915

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Mon Nov 20 12:07:05 UTC 2006

People,

I'm having some problems with a centrino notebook with Intel 915GM video
chipset and FC6. If you can help me with any of these listed below, I would
appreciate.

1. When I connect a monitor to the VGA connector of the notebook after
activating it with i810switch, the output image is always bigger then the
screen, no matter which resolution I choose. If the monitor offers the option
to adjust the width and height of the image, that's ok, I can shrink it to
make it fit the screen. But many LCD monitors allow only the repositioning of
the image and with these I can't see all the all of the output image. I had
FC5 installed in this notebook before FC6 and this problem did not exist.
2. Until FC5, I could always change X resolution using CTRL ALT + and CTRL
ALT -. In FC6 this does not work. I don't have a "DontZoom" option in my
xorg.conf, but I tried to add it with the value "false", even if this is the
default, with no success.
3. I configure KDE to turn off the display after 20 minutes of inactivity. The
display turns itself off after this time, but then the backlight turns on
again after 10 seconds or so and the screen remains blank. If I command "xset
dpms force off", the same thing happens: the display turns off and the
backlight turns on again after 10 seconds. "vbetool dpms off", however, works
as expected. Option "dpms" is set to "on" in xorg.conf. Is this a bug or a
misconfiguration?
4. Anyone has tv-out working with the i810 xorg driver? Which settings are
necessary in xorg.conf?
5. When I first installed FC6 in this notebook, suspend to RAM was working ok.
Last week, after two or three weeks without updating the system, I run yumex
and updated everything it was available for update and then suspend does not
work anymore. It suspends, but the display won't come back when I resume.
This always happened with kernel 2.6.17, but kernel 2.6.18 had solved the
problem. The kernel was updated on my last update, but it doesn't seem to be
the problem, as I have booted with the original FC6 kernel and suspend still
doesn't work. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,

Marcelo