FC6 No Audio

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 19:10:13 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 10:54, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> After upgrading to FC6 from FC4 I have no audio.  I have a standard
> sound blaster live card.  There seems to be no /dev/audio or /dev/sound
> devices.  Output from alsamixer is:
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
>
> RealPlayer plays viseo but with no sound.  My KMix Icon has a red "X" on
> it, I think indicating it is inop.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Try running system-config-soundcard, checking that it is seeing your card
correctly.  When it asks if you can hear the sound, say 'yes' even if you
can't, or the driver will not be installed.  Once the driver is installed,
look at alsamixer in a terminal, using arrows for navigation and M for
mute/unmute.  You should be able to find the culprit there.

Several people found themselves in your situation, including me, and the above
worked for most of us.

Anne