Any FC4 --> FC6 Experience

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 20 21:44:24 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 10:51 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
>> Has anyone had experience with a FC4 --> FC6 upgrade?
>> I've got Oracle 10g, special Apache, Tomcat 5.0.28, Java SDK 1.4.2 and
>> 1.5.0 installed and running just great.  I'm not sure what exactly needs to
>> be backed up.  I've got all of the key areas on separate filesystems (i.e.
>> /usr/oracle; /usr/apache; /usr/tomcat; /usr/java), so I don't have to back
>> them up. But what about /home and /etc?  Are there other areas? Any
>> information and/or help will be much appreciated.
>
> Gene, I did FC4 to FC5 upgrade and it blew up.
> Finding the answers to the problems after several weeks...
> ... priceless. Ric

Gene, I've done 2 FC4 to FC5 upgrades recently.  One blew up.  One took
about 9 hours, but completed fine.  I have found that one must be
careful when upgrading from FC4 to anything else, primarily because of
the package shuffling between what was included with FC4 and what was
moved to extras for FC5.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney