Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 21 17:08:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 09:41, Tim wrote:
>Tim:
>>> IDE/ATA doesn't use termination, SCSI does.
>
>Mel:
>> I don't believe that is true. I believe they both use termination.
>
>While from a technical standpoint, there's a standard impedance that
>loads the line, so it is "terminated".  There's nothing the user does to
>the drive that changes it.  So I should have said it doesn't have any
>user-set termination options.
>
>Electrically, it doesn't matter whether the master or slave is at the
>end of the line.  Neither's different in that regard.

Yes it does, only the drive jumpered as a slave has this turned off.  For
that reason it should always be on the middle connector, with the drive
set as master on the end.  Yeah you can set it up bass-ackwards.  And
I'll say we told you so when your data gets fubared.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)