FC5 - yum update problems- getting worse

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 21 17:47:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 10:56 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> In doing a yum update on my FC5 machine I received the following errors:
> Error: Missing Dependency: libiso9660.so.4(ISO9660_4) is needed by
> package vcdimager
> Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.6 is needed by package vcdimager
> Error: Missing Dependency: libcdio.so.6(CDIO_6) is needed by package
> vcdimager
> Error: Missing Dependency: libiso9660.so.4 is needed by package
> vcdimager
> Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib(vdr) >= 0.7.6 is needed by package
> xine
>
> Well starting in reverse order I have xine-lib-1.1.2 installed which
> seems to be cansitant with the >=0.7.6 demand. Why did I get an error?
>
> Where are the dependencies for vcdimager supposed to come from?
> --
Ok I thought I would exclude the updating of xine and vcdimager by
running:
yum --exclude="xine*" --exclude="vcdimager" update

I got the same errors. Putting the excludes in the yum.conf file did not
do any better. Are there any explanations out there of this behavior?
This must be the 50th time I have done something like this and it always
worked before.
Why are these athletic shoe salesmen following me??
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net