Printing with OpenOffice - SOLVED

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 21 20:52:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 18:48 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:34, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:23, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > Do you think it sounds like you're experiencing bug #213119?
> >
> > It looks very much like it, which is why I was looking for the 'fix'
> > recommended.  I tried the python command, too, which returned:
> >
> > python -c "import cups;c=cups.Connection();print c.getPPD('Draft')"
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> > cups.IPPError: (1280, 'server-error-internal-error')
> >
> > Does that tell you anything?
> >
> I'm going to be shouted at for this, but it needs to be said, because it may
> tell you what's really causing the problem.
>
> In the past I always put the servername into client.conf.  A couple of months
> ago I was told very firmly that I was wrong to do so, as it would stop
> printer-browsing occurring.  I don't have any local printers, so it had never
> caused me any problems, but, bowing to the experience of others, I removed
> the reference.  Everything seemed to work well enough, so I wasn't worried.
You can pint to any remote printer on the same lan with or without the
defining of the Server in the client.conf file. You can'r print to
remote printers on as different lan without the server defined. With the
server defined you can't print to a local printer. As long as you are
dealing with remote printers on the same Lan the answer to printing
under cup to a remote printer is to do nothing. It works out of the box
so to speak.