Video Playback

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 22 16:32:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 07:45 -0500, ron wrote:
> When I play back videocasts from the web, my harddrive light flickers.
> Anyone else experience this or have any information.

Most likely, the videocast stream is being cached as it plays (you're
temporarily downloading it, and playing it while it downloads).

> Is it harmful to my harddrive?

No more than anything else that makes use of the hard drive.

> Here's a sample:
> http://media.libsyn.com/media/commandn/commandN-069-XviD.avi

Not tried that particular URI, but I've played streaming stuff in the
past.  By the way, some sort of summary of what people would be looking
at might be an idea.  We've no idea whether we're going to look at
something objectionable, to put it mildly.

I read messages from the public lists.