Metrics and your privacy

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 22 17:10:21 UTC 2006

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I like Fedora very much, but I do not like the
> tracking part.  I regularly update most of my machines
> except the home machines (dialup), and should thus
> have been counted here

"Tracking" was not a good word.  But since you "regularly update" most
of your machines, of course the mirrors have a chance to understand that
they gave you something.  Is it enough to trigger the negative feelings
if just the existing log traces you leave are turned into a rough
geolocation and some count of machines, maybe how much memory too?

Surely this is not "spying" on people since you make the connection to
the mirror, and get the benefit of the bandwidth and the update?

-Andy