how to build a new kernel for FC6 (the abridged version)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Nov 22 22:29:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On 11/22/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>   just to resolve this ongoing discussion:
>>
>> 1)   - download and untar kernel source tarball in home directory
>> 2)   - cd into top level of that source dir
>> 3)   $ cp /boot/config<latest version> .config
>> 4)   $ yes '' | make oldconfig
>> 5)   $ make menuconfig     (to tweak whatever you want)
>> 6)   $ make
>> 7)   - go for lunch
>>
>>   - become superuser, then
>>
>> 8)   # make INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install
>> 9)   # make install
>> 10)  # reboot
>>
>>   did i miss anything?
>
> Yes, the answer to Kurt's question, which was how to do it the "fedora way".

Admittedly I have not seen the need to rebuild a kernal since the RHL 7.x days,
so take this with a grain of salt. If by fedora way you mean make a kernel
rpm, why not simply take the kernel source rpm, modify the spec file to suit and
run rpmbuild -ba kernel.spec? Go have lunch and check what you have after lunch.

You might have to add some additional packages to your build machine to
satisfy build deps but it should not be any harder than that.

The kernel is not all that different from any other rpm.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com