anaconda hangs during Fedora Core 6 upgrade attempt

Bruce Feist bfeist at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 23 02:13:16 UTC 2006

I have a 64-bit AMD-based system which currently runs Fedora Core 4
(64-bit version) very peacefully. I recently downloaded a DVD image of
Core 6 of the same, burned it, and tried to install. It goes through the
HW detection process and all seems well, but about 45-50 seconds after
displaying the "Running anaconda"* prompt, there is no more disk access
and anaconda just hangs silently. I've tried a text install and
installing without HW detection; no difference.

Any suggestions?

Bruce Feist

* or something to that effect -- I don't have the computer and prompt in
front of me as I write this.