Yum upgrade damage 3 of my systems yesterday

Julian Rios jrios at sapian.org
Thu Nov 23 12:48:22 UTC 2006

Hello community !

In my Workstations i use Fedora Core 6. Daily, i run yum upgrade -y
command for upgrade the OS. Yesterday i have a surprise when finished
the yum upgrade and reboot ............ X11 did not start. Tracing the
logs, i found that the XFS Font Server did not start. NVIDIA driver
was correct. Next, put my actions:

# startx
   could not init font path element unix/:7000
   FATAL: could not init default font fixed

# service xfs status
   xfs is died, but pid file found

# service xfs restart
   Starting xfs .... Ok

# service xfs status
    xfs is died, but pid file found

# xfs
    many of errors indicating: ignoring font path element (bad font path
    desciptor)
    ignoring /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc (bad font path desciptor)
    XFS fatal error: element #0 of font path is bad

I am confused, i reinstall the package xorg-x11-xfs and reinstall the
fonts xorg-x11-fonts-base* and nothing !!!

The problem init when the yum upgrade finish the last actualization.
What happend ?, i still continue with the problem, help !!!

Thanks

--
Julian Rios
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) - 2006