Can't bring up Fedora Core 6

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Fri Nov 24 17:23:02 UTC 2006

David Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:56:45PM -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> After installing Fedora Core 6, I couldn't get it to boot.
>>
>> The first time, I tried installing it with gnome and kde. Note that I
>> tested the media before installation. When I tried to boot it after
>> installation, it hung at syscall_call+0x7/0xb.
>>
>> I tried another installation, this time with just gnome (I figured I
>> could install kde after the system was up). When I tried to boot it
>> after install, I got
>>
>> Mounting local filesyste          [Failed]
>> Enabling local filesystem quotas  [OK]
>> Enabling /etc/fstab swaps
>>
>> It was at this point that it hung. I fell back to ubuntu edgy (which I'm
>> trying to get away from) in order to get my system back up.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any help? I can't get Fedora up at all.
>>
>> ---Michael
>
> This happens to be the point where the boot sequence switches to
> graphical mode (if /usr and / are on different partitions, otherwise it
> would be in graphical mode some steps earlier).
> So the best bet would be that there is a problem with the graphics card.

I did not define a separate /usr partition, so it's going to be in the
same partition as /.

> To find out more, try this:
> - reboot
> - in the grub boot loader screen, first press a key to see the menu,
> then press 'a' to modify the kernel arguments
> - from the line of kernel options, remove 'rhgb' and 'quiet', and add '3'
> (all without the quotes). This disables the graphical boot, makes the
> boot sequence more verbose, and boots to runlevel 3, that is, without X
> started, so you will have a text mode system on which you can login,
> view logs, attempt to reconfigure X etc. maybe the boot messages or
> system logs will give you a clue about the cause of the problem

I'm willing to do some testing, but we need to have some steps that
could lead to a working system. As I said in the first message, I fell
back to Ubuntu - I don't have Fedora on the system any more. I'll have
to put it there to do a test. If I hadn't done the fall back, I wouldn't
be able to write these emails.