Fedora 6 install problems

Ivan Kronkvist ikronkvist at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 18:12:11 UTC 2006

--- Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> trace
> > and a Segmentation Fault for the line in
> rc.sysinit
> > that does a rm -rf on a bunch of things in /tmp.
> >
> > I have tried to reinstall, but my original DVD
> didn't
> > work, the install got hung while resolving
> > dependencies of the packets I want to install. I
> have
> > downloaded Fedora 6 another 4 times and burned new
> > DVDs, but the installation process complains on
> each
> > of them that the DVD image is broken when I test
> the
> > DVD before starting to install. (the original DVD
> > passed before my initial install, but since has
> the
> > same problem when I test it.) If I try to install
> from
> > any of these DVDs, the install still hangs when
> > resolving packages.
>
> Several thoughts here. You should grab the sha1sums
> for the DVD ISO,
> and use that to verify the image. If it is OK, you
> don't need to pull
> it in again. E.g:
>
> [root at charlesc fc6]# sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-rescuecd.iso: FAILED open or read
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc1.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-disc1.iso: FAILED open or read
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc2.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-disc2.iso: FAILED open or read
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc3.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-disc3.iso: FAILED open or read
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc4.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-disc4.iso: FAILED open or read
> FC-6-i386-DVD.iso: OK
> sha1sum: FC-6-i386-disc5.iso: No such file or
> directory
> FC-6-i386-disc5.iso: FAILED open or read
> sha1sum: WARNING: 6 of 7 listed files could not be
> read
>
> (Note that the one in which you are interested was
> successful.)
>
> There have been problems with the media verification
> code in Anaconda,
> and I don't know if they have all been fixed. I
> would verify on the
> writing machine by first mounting the new DVD and
> the ISO image, and
> comparing. E.g.:
>
> [root at charlesc fc6]# mkdir foo
> [root at charlesc fc6]# mount -o loop FC-6-i386-DVD.iso
> foo
> [root at charlesc fc6]# mount /dev/scd0
> /media/cdrecorder/
> [root at charlesc fc6]# diff -r foo/ /media/cdrecorder/
>
> If that succeeds, you should be good to go. Of
> course if you are
> burning on one drive and reading from another, there
> could be a
> compatibility problem. I solve this by putting a DVD

Yes, the first DVD was ok initially, but when I put it
back in to reinstall, the test failed. I burned all my
DVDs on a Windows XP using the utilities for writing
an ISO image. I can't see why this program would
succeed once and then fail four times.

> > I don't know if there is a hardware problem. It
> seems
> > hard to imagine since it is a brand new PC and
> before
> > I even started install linux, I booted up with the
> > Windows XP that it came with and everything
> appeared
> > to be fine. However, trying to reinstall Windows
> XP
> > from the DVD I got in the purchase also fails. It
> > somehow hangs while booting from the DVD giving me
> > blank screen.
>
> Not encouraging. Is the computer still under
> warranty and can you take
> it in to the store?

Yes, it is. I am contemplating calling Dell and talk
to them.

> Have you run memtest86 on it? It's on the DVD and
> you can run it by
> entering "memtest" at the initial prompt.

I will try this.

> I would also run badblocks on the hard drive (boot
> to a live CD Linux
> like finnix for the purpose).

Can I do this in rescue mode? I don't have a live CD
Linux. Can I download one?

> --
>
> Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon
> Campaign
> Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for
> open standards
> and/or writing?                  X     No HTML/RTF
> in email
> http://www.charlescurley.com    / \    No M$ Word
> docs in email
>
> Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C
> FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
> > --

Thanks,
Ivan