Q: How to set up Sendmail to use port 587, local certs, etc?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Nov 24 20:36:47 UTC 2006

Hi.

I have a mail host that accepts mail externally from untrusted hosts
on port 25, and internally I'd like to use SMTP-over-SSL over
port 587 (as per RFC 2476).

I was wondering if anyone has directions for configuring our
workstations to submit via 587 to the mailhost, share certificates
for authentication, etc... and of course tailor
/etc/mail/{submit,sendmail}.mc

The rational is that we don't want to use Spam/Virus scanning
on internal submissions, and we perform triage based on whether
the mail came in on port 25 or port 587.

Yeah, I could ask this on the Sendmail netnews group, but it
seems that Redhat has a non-standard set of .mc files it ships
with.  I couldn't find, for instance, the TLSMTA mailer
definition in the official sendmail.org sources.

Thanks,

-Philip