Getting Fedora to work

ulrich captin.kirk at arcor.de
Sat Nov 25 11:09:23 UTC 2006

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I didn't notice it before I posted my message, but I found it
> interesting that another potential Fedora user had posted a very similar
> problem to mine immediately before my message was posted.
>
> I'd like to switch to Fedora, but I can't get it to come up. Note: I did
> check the image sums before I burned the DVD. I did have k3b verify the
> image, and it reported it binary equal. I did have Fedora check the
> media before I started the install. I've seen some suggestions about

for some reason i also had enormous trouble with the checksums. When using
the cp - cmd to store an iso on an external usb-disk, some iso failed more
than five times. Only when i used nfs between the machines it worked.

> There was a question about /usr and / being in the same partition. I'm
> bringing /home up in its own partition, but everything else shares a
> partition (except my windows partition. I'm not going to let my Linux
> installation touch my Win2K partition).
That said, my install runs through the point that it tries to boot. It

I spent hard time with FC5 und XP dual boot.
Only after reading some side remarks in koflers LINUX book, i found out

1. Partitioning with the LVM (like fedora does is, when you don't interfere)
is the major obstacle.

(i) LVM requires some additional configurations to grub for transfering the
boot image (dual boot with XP).
(ii) its no good idea to have the /boot and swap under LVM

(iii) if you want to apply LVM with dual boot, just do it to the / and if
necessary to /home, /usr etc. For a workstation LVM is no good idea at all.

(iv) try manual partitioning /boot  150 kB  swap 1-2 MB  rest as available
(min 8 GB)