amandas group membership in FC6?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Nov 26 02:45:56 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 25 November 2006 13:37, David G. Miller wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:

Lots of stuff deleted since the conversation has drifted...
>>> Useing kde-3.5.5, I didn't notice that option in the tools supplied.
>>> There was Kusr, and something called user manager.  But the first time
>>> I just ran 'adduser amanda'.
>>>
>> See Anne's recent post and correction.  system-config-users lets you
>> manipulate group membership, etc.
>>

> I'll have to join the chorus of objections here.  That tool doesn't seem
> to be available anyplace on the kmenu.  If thats the 'approved' tool to
> do that, then it needs to be a heck of a lot more accessible than buried
> someplace in an sbin directory that you have to issue a 'locate
> system-config' and see what falls out with a name that *might* indicate
> it what you want.

KDE may not see fit to include it since it's gnome-ish.  It's Red Hat's
standard user/group config tool.  Found with others of it's ilk in:

[root at bend ~]# which system-config-users
/usr/bin/system-config-users

>>> 2 reasons,
>>> 1) whats in the repos is often a year or more out of date, and due to
>>> the restrictions of the rpm packaging system usually has permission
>>> problems that can only be sorted correctly by nuking the rpm and
>>> following the build instructions to install the tarball.  This is the
>>> first time I've had problems installing a tarball in 6 years!
>>>
>>> 2) I'm one of the canaries in this particular coal mine, I make and
>>> install the new snapshots as often as Jean-Louis releases them, so if
>>> there are any gotcha's I can report back the next day on their lists.
>>> Thats one of my contributions to your having the worlds best backup
>>> software.
>>>
>> I like my backup software to be VERY stable so I'll put up with whatever
>> Fedora decides is sufficiently stable to include in their distro.
>>

> Fedora has taken perfectly good code, and broke it all to hell making it
> fit in the rpm format, on several occasions.  Often the packager doesn't
> use it himself, and has no idea how to go about throwing it out in the
> street to see if it can survive in traffic.  Sorry if thats a bit too
> candid an opinion, but back when I wanted to start using it, I screwed
> around with whatever version was in rpm at the time for almost 3 months
> fighting with perms, finally discovering the mailing list, and got
> instructions on how to build it.  The result worked the first night.  And
> every night since except for an obscure bug that effected several
> snapshots in a row last spring, and a typo in the srcs of two snapshots,
> probably 5 & 2 years ago.  Stable?  Yes, very.  We have 10x the trouble
> with gnu.org's ongoing screwing with tar, to the extent we now have a
> list of tars that work and tars that will not recover.  In that regard,
> amanda is many times more stable that tar.  But you folks always think
> tar is stable, so you go get the last release, make an rpm out of it, and
> apparently never actually test it in the real world.  We do.  Every
> night...
>
> >From time to time one of the packagers checks into the list, and tries to
> understand the problems.  But then like smoke in a whirlwind, gone again
> for 2 years or more because we think this is a great time to get amanda
> fixed, but your packager has thin skin & boogies.  To get an idea of what
> it can do today, go get the latest snapshot from Jean-Louis's site at
> umontreal, link near bottom of page at amanda.org, unpack it, and read
> the ChangeLog.  I don't even know if it goes back as far as the version
> fedora is currently shipping, but a lot of new capabilities have been
> added since then, with the only backwards breakage being the timestamps
> which once enabled in the wider format aren't compatible with
> pre-timestamped archives that have only a date stamp.

I seem to have hit a hot button.  I haven't had any trouble with the
amanda rpms.  I'm currently running the server under CentOS 4.4 and
clients under Fedora 6 plus backing up my wife's Windoze box as a samba
share.  About the only PITA was getting the tape changer configured
since it's really an HP changer (C1557A) that Sun resells.
>> With regard to this problem:
>>
>>> [amanda at coyote GenesAmandaHelper-0.5]$ ls -l /mnt/hdb/home
>>> total 36
>>> drwxr-xr-x 21     33 disk   4096 Nov  8 23:37 amanda
>>> drwx------  3 amanda amanda 4096 Nov  9  2004 elladene
>>> drwx------ 14    502    502 4096 Nov 12  2002 elmer
>>> drwx------ 36 gene   gene   4096 Nov  9 16:32 gene
>>> drwx------  2 root   root   4096 Oct 22  2002 lost+found
>>> drwx------  3    503    503 4096 Nov 21  2002 roadrunner
>>> drwxr-xr-x 18 gene   gene   4096 Aug 14 03:42 shop
>>> drwxr-xr-x 19   1000   1000 4096 Aug 13  2004 shop-gene
>>> drwxr-xr-x  6   1002   1002 4096 Dec 14  2005 spamd
>>>
>> find provides a mechanism for finding all of the files with a particular
>> UID or GID and then doing whatever you'd like with them.  Something
>> along the lines of:
>>
>> find / -uid 33 -exec chown amanda:disk {} \; -print
>>
>> The predicate -gid can be used with numeric group IDs.  If you want to
>> confirm the changes, use -ok instead of -exec.
>>

> Valid for the FC2 tree's, amanda is 501 on FC6.  I probably am overdoing
> it, but I (root) just 'chown -R amanda:disk *' from inside
> the /home/amanda dir.
>
> Point taken though.  Thanks.

Just change the numeric UID or GID as needed.  Also, I think amanda
likes to have some of the stuff under /etc/amanda owned by the amanda
user.  But that could be a Red Hat-ism.  501 is probably what you get
for a UID by creating the user through one of the regular user
management tools.  Amanda is still user 33 on my clean FC6 install.
It's usually a good idea to have system users like amanda have a UID
outside of the normal user range.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce