The mystery of lm-sensors

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Sun Nov 26 15:52:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:31:02 +0000
Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> If you read the docs for lm_sensors you can see that the interpretation
> it does on the raw reading from the temperature sensor is grossly
> different depending on the type on sensor, the motherboard, phase of
> moon and so on, and there is nothing to check you have the correct
> sensor approximation or to calibrate it.

Yep, the motherboard manufacturers never document how they have
this stuff hooked up. If you have Windows installed as an alternate
boot you can often install the manufacturer's monitor program (which
you'd think they would get right), and see what it says when running
windows, then get some idea of which lm_sensors stuff is which
by comparing it. If the "Motherboard Monitor" program has information
on your motherboard in its list, that might also tell you how
to calibrate things (but I think the author gave up trying to
keep up with the impossible task of figuring it all out).

To add to the mystery, my VCore reading shows up too low when I'm
running the normal kernel, but shows up right (based on comparison
with Windows and the BIOS cpu health page), when I'm running the Xen
kernel (no idea why :-).

Motherboard Monitor is at: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/