I chickened out - but it's up

Michael W Cocke cocke at catherders.com
Sun Nov 26 23:41:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:55:24 -0600, you wrote:

>After the problems I had with Fedora Core 6, I installed Fedora Core 5
>when I tried again. It seems to be working. I'm sure I'm going to have
>some questions as I switch from Ubuntu to Fedora.
>
>Question 1:
>Most of the distributions I've used bring up a service (MySQL, Samba,
>etc) when I install it. Fedora doesn't. Is there a tool for this, or do
>I drop back to raw mode as if I compiled them? e.g. how do I bring up
>MySQL and Samba.
>
>Thanks in advance
>---Michael

3 ways, depending.  Here's the 2 from a console (someone else already
gave you the gui method)

chkconfig sets it to run on boot, service starts, stops, and restarts
immediately.  chkconfig --list will give you the list of services
(hence the command service)

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.