How to encrypt and burn to dvdr my home dir?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Nov 27 04:00:02 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I've already slimmed my home dir down enough to fit onto a dvd. How
> would you suggest I encrypt the resulting .tar.bz2 file?

I'd use gpg from the command line.  Depending on your preferences and
familiarity with gpg and your love or loathing of the command line,
you may find one of the GUI front-ends better for your use.  Seahorse
is a Gnome gpg front-end (available in extras).  Kgpg is a KDE
front-end (available as part of the kdeutils package).  Each
integrates with its respective desktop environments file manager to
provide right click contect menus for common operations (though I have
very little experience with either, I'm a command line junkie when it
comes to gpg :).

Using gpg you can encrypt your backup file using your own key if
you've create a public/private keypair or you can just use a
passphrase to encrypt the file.

To encrypt to your own key, the command would be:

    gpg --encrypt --recipient "name" "file"

You could shorten that to gpg -er "name" "file" if you wanted.

To encrypt using a passphrase:

    gpg -c "file"

The -c is for _c_onventional encryption, AKA symmetric encryption.
The long option for -c is --symmetric.

Poke a little with the front-ends or google some on gpg usage and see
what specific questions you come up with.

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips,
pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
    -- Matt Groening