ssh -X shop problem...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 27 04:52:10 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 November 2006 23:08, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 23:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Tonight I thought I'd play with emc2 a bit, but since updateing this
>> machine to FC6, somethings gone fubar in the X11 forwarding.  Here is
>> whats been executed to get to the failure:
>>
>> ---------
>> [root at coyote amanda]# xhost +192.168.71.4
>> 192.168.71.4 being added to access control list
>> [root at coyote amanda]# su gene
>> [gene at coyote amanda]$ ssh -X shop
>> gene at shop's password:
>> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
>> forwarding. Linux shop 2.6.15-magma #1 Fri Jun 9 20:51:19 EEST 2006
>> i686 GNU/Linux Welcome to the Shop @ the Coyote's Den
>>
>> Last login: Sun Nov 26 22:52:45 2006 from coyote.coyote.den
>> gene at shop:~$ cd emc2.head/
>> gene at shop:~/emc2.head$ scripts/emc
>> EMC2 - pre-2.1 CVS HEAD
>> Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to
>> display "localhost:10.0"
>> ------------
>>
>> Obviously I can't do this xhost thingy as a common user:
>> ----------
>> [gene at coyote amanda]$ xhost +192.168.71.4
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>>
>> xhost:  unable to open display ":0"
>> -----------
>> X was started by root, as usual.
>>
>> Where did I mess up?  Where is this access control list being
>> maintained and is it editable by mortals?  Or where is this magic
>> cookie key?, and how do I refresh it to valid status?
>>
>> This exact procedure worked just fine when I was running FC2 (with
>> xorg-6.8.1-901 hand built on this box.)
>
>----
>remote X-windows doesn't work when you do an 'su' unless before you do
>that, you have to authorize the local user to use x which just
>complicates things.
>
>don't do an su and you'll be able to use remote x-windows
>
>better yet...freenx rocks

Humm, apparently not available for *ubuntu, and universe is turned on.

root at shop:/etc/X11# apt-get install freenx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package freenx

Installed it here with yum, but no manpages were included.  Also, although
its installed according to yum, from the cli its all(freenx, nx) 'not
found', so I'm obviously not finding any setup help.  Google seems to be
finding trouble threads only.

On one page I find a sample command line to start and stop the server, and
although it says its running, I don't see the correct effect:

root at shop:/# su gene
gene at shop:/$ cd
gene at shop:~$ cd emc2.head/
gene at shop:~/emc2.head$ scripts/emc
EMC2 - pre-2.1 CVS HEAD
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: invalid command name "image"
    while executing
"image create photo -file $f/$i.gif"
    invoked from within
"if [file exists $f/$i.gif] {
            return [image create photo -file $f/$i.gif]
        }"
    (procedure "emc::image_search" line 7)
    invoked from within
"emc::image_search emc2-wizard"
    invoked from within
"set logo [emc::image_search emc2-wizard]"
    (file "/home/gene/emc2.head/tcl/bin/pickconfig.tcl" line 37)
Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable

The response is changed, but the end result is the same.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)