New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Nov 27 16:10:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Cecilia Lunardini wrote:

> Matthew:
>
> still no success.
>
> I followed all your steps in the right order.
> After I rebooted, the Devices tab was empty and the
> Hardware tab had one item, but not of type wireless.
>
> When I did
> rpm -qV kernel ,
> nothing happened, and this puzzles me a bit. I did not
> verify the kernel files and the stock drivers as you
> recommended in step 1, because I did not know how to
> do it.

No response from rpm -qV kernel means no errors were found.  Yes, it's a
but cryptic.

> As usual, below is the log of what I have done
> (perhaps not very informative, but better than
> nothing).
>
> Thanks for helping so patiently,
>
> Cecilia
> ----------------
> [root at localhost ~]# rpm -qV kernel
> [root at localhost ~]# system-config-network
> [root at localhost ~]# emacs /etc/modprobe.conf &
> [1] 3413
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> modprobe.conf before:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
>> /dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
> --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
> alias eth2 e100
> alias eth4 3c501

This suggests two ethernet cards.

e100 is a slightly old Intel wired card.  3c501 is a fairly common, fairly
old wired card.

OK Try these:

(1) Is there a setting in the BIOS to enable wireless?  Is wireless
enabled?

(2) Is there a hardware power switch for the wireless?  Is it powered on?
(If there's no indicator light, then try just toggling the wireless power
and booting again.)

(3) What is the output of lspci -v?

(4) Is this machine dual-boot?  Does the card work in Windows?

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu