SATA install problem with FC6

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Nov 27 17:06:51 UTC 2006

I installed FC6 over the weekend on a new drive.  Had an interesting
problem getting it to work.

The system is an Intel Pentium 4 3ghz hyperthread box with a real Intel
motherboard.  (Don't remember the chipset at the moment.)  I have
installed Fedora on it before without seeing this problem.

The system boots off of /dev/sda.  All of the previous versions installed
correctly to that drive and grub worked correctly.

This time it tried to install grub on /dev/hdc. (hda is a dvd drive.)

When I looked at the bios, it had the primary boot drive listed at hdc,
but it booted off of sda.

Weird.

I rearranged things in the bios and then reinstalled and everything got
installed correctly with grub.

I have no idea why it would install with the old versions and not with the
later.  The machine was pretty confused as to what it should have been
booting from.  The configuration it had should not have worked at all.

For those who are having problems getting FC6 to work might want to check
to see what their bios is set to boot from.  It might not be what you
really want.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25