cron miss-fire

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 27 22:51:14 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 08:42, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 27 November 2006 05:38, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Greetings;
>>
>>I didn't get any mail from amanda this morning, and no record in the
>> log of the script having been run at 1:01 this morning.  So I called
>> up kcron, highlighted the command line, pulled down the edit menu and
>> told it to run it.  It appears to be running as expected although the
>> shell where I launched kcron reported the root catcher exit of the
>> first call in that script, a call to amcheck.
>>
>>This should not be, and should be bugzilla'd against kcron because it
>> did not become amanda before launching the script, and parts of amanda
>> that the script calls will fail because of that.  Which bugzilla do I
>> use?
>>
>>But the real question is: Why didn't it run it at the set time this
>>morning?
>
>Addendum:
>
>This is turning into a real puzzle.  The above run thoroughly mucked the
>owner:group of quite a bit of the backup system, so I've been 20 minutes
>or so with chown fixing those again.
>
>I have also adjusted the launch time in amanda's crontab to just a
> couple of minutes in the future, 3 times now, and 3 times cron has not
> run the script when that walltime came by.
>
>Is there something basicly wrong with this that I can't see?
>----------
>[root at coyote Mail]# su amanda -c "crontab -l"
>PATH=/GenesAmandaHelper-0.5:$PATH
>#
>20 8 * * *      /GenesAmandaHelper-0.5/backup.sh
># This file was written by KCron. Copyright (c) 1999, Gary Meyer
># Although KCron supports most crontab formats, use care when editing.
># Note: Lines beginning with "#\" indicates a disabled task.
>-----------
>
>I've even changed the owner:group of the /var/spool/cron/amanda file to
>match the one in the old FC2/var/spool/cron dir, also with no apparent
>effect.  I'm out of ideas. I just set it up to 8:33 and restarted crond.
>Thats 15 seconds in the future.  And its again simply ignored????
>
>I added a 0 so its 08 in the hour column and set it 2 minutes into the
>future, still no action, zip, nada.  Is there any way to turn up crond's
>debugging output?

Addendum to the addendum:

cron does not appear to be using wall clock time.  In the crontab for
root, its supposed to turn on the christmas lights at about dusk, which
at this time of the year is about 5pm here, so I have that crontab entry
set to trigger at 00 17 * * *.

I was out in the yard burning leaves at about 4:32pm when I noticed they
had just come on.  And my watch is only about 00:01:05 fast ATM.

I'm beginning to think I need an exorcist, this FC6 install is haunted!
Particularly the cron stuff, it has been weird from the gitgo.  Doesn't
anyone have an idea of what I should be checking?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)