Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 02:03:09 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> No, he didn't modify the part of the GPL that says
>>> the 'work as a whole' must be distributed under the
>>> same terms.  To whatever extent the GPL is valid, it
>>> has to apply to any modifications or they can't be
>>> distributed.   The whole point of the GPL is that
>>> people making changes have no choice about the license
>>> terms that must be applied.
>>>
>> What are we disagreeing about?
>
> I thought you were suggesting that people had a choice
> of license terms when submitting changes.  The terms make
> it very clear that they don't.

I see, no, I wasn't suggesting that, I was just phrasing
in general terms.  Certainly you can't pick and choose
which terms you follow in most licenses, and the GPL is
no exception.  Its quid-pro-quo is that you are licensed
to produce derivative works provided those derivatives
are made available under the GPL.

--
imalone