can't play avi file

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Nov 30 08:40:18 UTC 2006

On Thu November 30 2006 2:16 am, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Claude,
>
> I use the following repos:
>
> dag, fedora, fedora-devel, fedora-updates.repo, freshrpms,
> fedora-extras, macromedia-i386, fedora-legacy, python24
>
> When I run "yum list updates" I don't see codecs listed.
> I thought I got all the codecs I could find when I
> first downloaded mplayer but I don't see any nor a
> link for win32. btw, I use FC3 - I know, I know, I
> need to upgrade to FC6.
>
> So it looks like it may not be a problem with my
> graphics card?
>
> I also installed vlc (videolan-client) and from a forum
> I may be SOL - a version of a library I need is not available
> for FC3.

That's fairly risque, mixing fedora-devel with the rest - could be some issues
there. For the latest codecs package go here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
Choose the "all" package with the most recent date which should be from Oct if
such exists for your architecture - that will get you the most comprehensive
number - use Stanton Finley's instrux for installation to make sure you get
them where you need them and get all the permissions right:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html#MPlayer

We are talking about the same clip, right? You didn't speak to that part of my
post.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA