Howto fix missing kde Applications menu?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 18:19:24 UTC 2006

My kde start menu is missing "Applications".  This seems to be an issue
because various apps come with a .desktop file that want to put things
there.  Like, cxoffice for example.

I don't know what's wrong.  If I use kmenuedit, I can make a new entry that
I name "Applications", but it doesn't seem to work.  I notice that I now
have:

~/.local/share/desktop-directories/Applications-2.directory

I guess it renamed it to -2 to avoid a conflict?  Doesn't seem to work.

For example, I have:
~/.local/share/applications/Configuration.desktop:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
X-Created-By=cxoffice-0
Icon=/home/nbecker/cxoffice/support/icons/crossover.xpm
Exec=sh -c "/home/nbecker/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup"
Name=Configuration
Name[ru]=Настройка
Name[pl]=Konfiguracja
Name[pt]=Configuração
Name[ja]=構成
Name[pt_BR]=Configuração
Name[de]=Konfiguration

Neither this entry nor the Applications submenu show up on my start menu.
Any hints?