network route

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 5 07:15:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 02:44 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> In passthrough mode I am not getting to the gateway nor is DNS
> responding. In DHCP mode after several resets, it works. Please note, in
> passthrough mode on the modem, I have all of the static IP stuff set on
> this machine using network-config-gui. When that fails, I got back to
> the network config and set it to DHCP, then make sure network manager is
> up and running in services, hit the hard reset on the modem and reconfig
> it to the same static IP values. Then it works to the net.

Do you always get told to use the same gateway by the ISP?  On some,
they do change.

What are you resetting several times?  Perhaps you have a wonky modem?

Although you've said that you have a static IP, that doesn't mean that
you have to hard-configure your system with static details.  You can use
DHCP to auto-configure your system with the details they provide, each
time, even if they're (nearly) always the same.

I'm not sure why you need network manager running.  I was under the
impression that you'd only need that if you kept changing networks, and
you'd like it to manage the changes for you (e.g. you take your PC
between work, home, and other places).

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.