get back deleted file

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:10:17 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, yogesh at banasdairy.coop <yogesh at banasdairy.coop> wrote:
> i try but in user home directory folder i not get .trash/.Trash file
>

> i delete one file and i want to get it back can it possible
> i sure that i not delete it permenantly
>
> so if any idea with out trash than share with me
>
> --

Depends on how you deleted it.  If you deleted it from the command
line, then it doesn't appear to go to your trash bin.  If you deleted
it from Gnome or KDE, it should go to ~/.Trash.  You could try a tool
like scalpel to retrieve the file (ideally running it from a bootable
CD which has it, such as Helix - in order to minimize activity on the
drive to avoid overwritting the data before you get a chance to
recover it).

debugfs can potentially help as well if it's an ext2fs file system.

You could also simply grep the device or partition (after having
booted from a bootable CD) for a string from your file to find it on
the drive.  Autopsy is another tool that could do it.  I have to warn
you that none of this is particularly easy to do let alone try to
explain via an e-mail.

Jacques B.