remove "shutdown" option from gnome system (not gdm!) menu?

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Thu Oct 5 15:47:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 05:39:38PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

>>  Kenny's suggestion seems to do the trick.
>>
>>  A user could still issue the reboot command though - is there anything
>>  wrong with:
>>  chmod a-rwx /sbin/halt
>>  ?

That seems like it would be effective if the goal is to make it
impossible for non-root users to do a shutdown / reboot.  That wasn't
my goal, but apparently what I had in mind is so unusual that there's
no reasonable way to accomplish it.

What I'm kind of wondering, though, is how any of this helps if users
have physical access to the machine's power switch -- and it seems like
in the usual setup, these various shutdown/reboot GUI options are only
available to someone sitting at the console anyway.  There's probably
something I'm not getting!

-- blm