Time problem with ntpd

Rob Brown-Bayliss uncertain.genius at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 21:41:11 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:

> correct the reported time to prevent discontinuities.  It should not
> have changed the time by 23 minutes over only a few hours.  You may have
> something else going on.

Something else is going on, /var/log/messages contains lots of these:
Oct  8 10:43:19 localhost ntpd[2481]: sendto(130.123.2.98) (fd=21):
Invalid argument

which I tracked down to an old bug in ntpd going back at least one
year where ntpd needs to be restarted when ever the network interface
connection changes.  I don't understand why this is now a problem when
it wasn't a problem last week, well other than the update from fc5 to
fc6 of course :-)

--
Rob