FC5 - ISO burning

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Oct 8 02:57:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 14:46 +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> 2006/10/6, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>:
> > Paul Smith wrote:
> > > On 10/6/06, Antonio Montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>

> > > I have given up of using k3b, as very often it works wrongly (many
> > > wasted disks). The best way is learning how to burn CDs/DVDs with the
> > > command line. The following site is quite instructive:
> > >
> > > http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html
> > >
> > > Now, to solve your particular problem, burn your iso with the command:
> > >
> > > cdrecord -v dev=/dev/dvd -data /tmp/cd-iso-image-file.iso
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >
> > That's interesting because I've never had a bad disc created by K3b.
> > Unless of course the media itself was bad, which it wouldn't matter how
> > you burned it.  k3b has always been rock solid for me no matter what
> > burner I've used.
> >

> > --
> > Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.
> >
> > Mark Haney
> > Sr. Systems Administrator
> > ERC Broadband
> > (828) 350-2415
> >
> > --
> >
> Also for me k3b is rock solid
> I think that the problem is connected to burning a bin/cue pair. The
> MD5SUM is fine, then I get such an error.
> Another comment to burning procedure: it is crazy that I have to
> unmount a device if I want to delete a CD/RW: it has to be solved
> urgently otherwise people coming from Windows will go back to Windows
> (especially non-tech people)

Since windows never "mounts" a volume it behaves differently. A disk can
be formatted at any time on Windows (in use or not).  AFAIK Windows
never checks to see if there are open files or anything else before
starting the format.
I assume that you are saying you have to unmount it under Linux when you
are formatting the CDRW disk.  That has been the case in all the
different flavors of *nix for as long as *nix has been around (or at
least as long as there have been CDRWs in use on *nix).  You cannot
format _any_ filesystem on _any_ flavor of *nix that I am aware of when
the device is mounted.