How to create a DVD image with very large files?

Josiah Royse jroyse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 12:48:17 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 6.5 Gbyte tarball that I want to archive on a dual layer DVD.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a dual-layer writer on my PC, however, I
> do have access to another (Windows) PC that _does_ have a dual-layer
> writer.
>
> So, I would like to create the .iso on my Linux PC and transfer it to
> the other PC.  Since I use Gnome as my desktop, I figured I would use
> GnomeBaker to create the .iso.  Unfortunately, when I do so, I get an
> error message that reads:
>
> mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type.  File
> /blah/blah/blah.tar.bz2 is too large - ignoring

What you want to do is use the "--tape-length=4GB" fuction inside tar when
you create the tar.  If you use the "split" command against the large
archive, your resulting files will show up as "data" if you check "file
tar.part*".  Some CD writing programs won't allow you to burn files with
pure data (ran into that in k3b).

see:
http://www.cgi-interactive-uk.com/splitting_large_files.html

--Josiah