Copying a user to a new user?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 12 05:40:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 17:06 +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> Have not tried the tar method, but the copy to /etc/skell failed big
> time, afteer the user was set up I tried to log on, and got 30 or so
> error dialogues before being left with a black screen, the nautilus
> icons on the deskttop and no panels.  The original user did not have
> nautilus drawing the desktop so every thing was wrong...

Just tried putting root-owned files into /etc/skel (on FC5) and that
worked fine.  I wonder if you're copying already broken files into
there, rather than fresh ones that work properly?

> It's only a once off to try and fix a problem, this one user (out of
> 3) cant open images or pdf files from nautilus, gets dumb errors like
> this:
>
> The filename "image.png" indicates that this file is of type "png
> document". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
> "PNG image". If you open this file, the file might present a security
> risk to your system.
>
> and so has to use the open with menu for every thing.  All the oter
> users work fine. Note that the error is for all files, not just a few.

Hmm, I've heard of that, but can't recall reading a resolution.  I've
seen similar on my own system:

I wanted to set .m3u files to be opened in XMMS, but the system insists
they're plain text, and you get protests.  Either you'll end up opening
the file in a text editor, or XMMS will be sent all text files.  It
doesn't seem to acknowledge that there's different uses for plain text
files, and sometimes the name is the distinguishing factor.

Let text/plain MIME typing be used for *defaults* and previously
un-encountered plain text files.  But as soon as we set a specific
action for certain ones, let the damn thing do what we want it to.

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.